Stephen Lynas has supplied us with a couple of photos from the Annual Dinner, held on 23 March, together with a school photo of the Form 5A in 1967. Amazingly, Stephen has also been able to supply all the names on the school photo!
Below is this year's seating plan - look out for Old Boy colleagues (Denis Jarrett's place was taken by John Bishop):-
Chris Laming reports:-
A move to the UK Paper clubhouse for the OBA annual dinner appeared to prove a popular choice with attendees, many of whom complimented the Association on the choice of venue and the quality of food and service.
This article continues Bryan Short's history of the School.
Mr. Bond proceeded with his work at the School. Staff were recruited. Advertisements placed in newspapers throughout the County brought in pupils, and the School roll rose. Clause 51 of the Scheme required the Head Master to provide the Governors with a written report on the School's progress. Mr Bond produced his first report, covering the year October 1878 to October 1879.
Comment received from Frank Hales re "Don Prichard - Obituary". To see full article and comment click here.
It is with great sadness that we report the death of Jonathan Brownridge on 22nd October 2012 at the age of just 56. Jon was at the School from 1967 until 1974 before going on to study Physics at Imperial College having been inspired to do so by John Macrae, and their shared passion for physics ensured that they remained firm friends.
Jon was an enthusiastic member of the OBA and attended many of the Dinners up until 2011. He kept in touch with a group of his contemporaries and many of those were among the almost 200 strong congregation at his funeral which was held on 1st November 2012.
This article has been reproduced from 2009 in advance of publishing further chapters of the history of the school.
Founding a School in the 1870s
The founding of Barrows Boys School (as it was first called) began, continued and ended in controversy, culminating in the resignation of the entire Governing Body in 1880.